Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
As a photojournalist my principal interests are spot news, fires, etc. I also like to see the humor in everyday situations. In my 42 years as a photojournalist I have seen a lot of people die. First, during the Salvadoran Civil War, and since then, on some of the 'mean streets' of my adopted hometown......still, a great little town all the same!

The Good Old Days !

Recently reconnected with Bill Etges, a special climbing friend from long ago. He had some nice images from some of our wild adventures, circa. 1974. I photoshopped a few, and reproduce them here. In this image Bill follows my lead on an early ascent of Bumblebee Buttress, 5.8  North Carolina Wall, Linville Gorge. Yeah, we thought we were pretty hot shit 'cos it was first climbed in April of 1970 by B. Mitchell & B. Gillespie. We would be hard-pressed to even reach the base of the climb now, but it's nice to look back and know that we once had the 'huevos' to get the job done.